Critical Home Fire Escape Planning Tips.
This is the time of year we unfortunately start to see an increase in home fires. So, what can you do to help prevent and survive if a fire does occur?
Experts say that you have as little as two minutes to safely escape after the smoke detectors sound!
Here are a few things that you can do to prepare;
- Check your smoke detectors, add additional ones in each bedroom, and change the batteries.
- Add carbon monoxide monitors.
- Check or add fire extinguishers.
- Have your furnace cleaned.
- Have your hot water tank checked.
- If you have a chimney have it inspected and cleaned.
- Don't use space heaters.
- Don't use extension cords.
- Unplug small appliances like hair dryers, curling irons, toasters.
Every second counts, prepare and practice your escape. Have two exit routes for every room in the house and practice with your family at least twice a year. Make sure to always have a clear path to your exits, usually a door and window. Then plan a place to meet outside, like a tree or street light. Practice getting your family safely out in under two minutes.
Lastly, get with me to review your home insurance policy to make sure it still fits your needs. Our lives change and so do our coverage needs. Now is the time, don't get caught without if something unfortunate happens,Call me at 913-948-6590.
Have a great day!