Who Needs Non-Owned and Hired Automobile Coverage?
I would say that all businesses should have non-owned and hired auto coverage. Why? Generally the business auto or general liability policy covers company owned vehicles' to perform company business. You have taken all precautions to protect your company vehicles. However, there is one area that you may not have thought about.
If you or your employees ever drive vehicles not owned by your business for business purposes, then you need non-owned hired coverage.
Here are a few situations that present a potential gap in coverage while employees are driving their personal vehicles;
- Do employees ever go to the post office or bank deposit?
- Do you ever send an employee to pick up office supplies?
- Ever have someone pick up a client from the airport?
- Have you ever rented a vehicle while on a business trip?
- Do you have a sales force which you provide a car allowance for business use of their personal vehicles?
If you or an employee gets into an accident in any of these situations your business can be held accountable and sued for damages. Your best protection is to add non-owned and hired auto coverage. This provides coverage for bodily injury and property damage caused by a vehicle you "hire" (including rented or borrowed) vehicles. This is usually added to your business auto policy however if you do not have business auto then it can be added to your general liability policy.
Call me at 913-948-6590 to schedule a review of your business policy and a quote for non-owned and hired endorsement. This coverage is very reasonable for the peace of mind of covering your business.